While balcony container gardeners enjoy their small-space urban gardens, sometimes a few container plants on an apartment balcony above a busy street just isn’t peaceful enough. Balcony gardeners might not be able to have a peaceful, large garden, but there are public gardens and arboretums near every major city. Don’t just fawn over pictures of luxurious gardens. Get out there and enjoy a day at a public garden! You may even bring some gardening inspiration home to your own balcony container garden.
If you live in or are visiting the Fullerton, Calif., area, why not visit the Fullterton Arboretum?
- The 26-acre Fullerton Arboretum, located on the California State University, Fullerton campus, opened in 1979 and has more than 4,000 plant species. It is the largest botanical garden in Orange County, Calif.
- The Fullerton Arboretum includes a museum, greenhouse and nursery, community gardens, outdoor classroom, nature center, a Heritage House (pictured above), children’s garden and several plant collections, including Cultivated, Mediterranean, Desert and Woodlands collections.
- The Fullerton Arboretum website includes an interactive plant map that allows you to see the accession numbers, scientific names and common names of plants in an area on the map. You can also search for a particular plant you’re interested and see where it is located in the arboretum.
- The community garden contains a limited number of garden plots available to the public. On a first-come, first-served basis, the 15x15-foot plots are available for $100 yearly. The use of pesticides, insecticides, herbicides and miticides is not allowed.
- The Orange County Agricultural and Nikkei Heritage Museum, which is located on the site, has special exhibits. Check the website for the most current exhibit.
- Guided nature tours are available for $3 per person, and guided Heritage House (a relocated 1894 Eastlake-style Victorian house that belonged to a Fullerton physician named Dr. George C. Clark) also available for $3 per person.
- Check the website for gardening classes, plant sales and other activities at the Fullerton Arboretum, including the annual Haunted Gardens and Victorian Christmas.
Fullerton Arboretum Quick Info
1900 Associated Road, Fullerton, CA 92831
Entrance is free (donations)
Open 8am-4:30pm Friday through Sunday. Check the website for special summer hours.