While balcony container gardeners enjoy their small-space urban gardens, sometimes a few container plants on an apartment balcony above a busy street just isn’t peaceful enough. Balcony gardeners might not be able to have a peaceful, large garden, but there are public gardens and arboretums near every major city. Don’t just fawn over pictures of luxurious gardens, get out there and enjoy a day at a public garden! You may even bring some gardening inspiration home to your own balcony container garden.
If you live in or are visiting the Jacksonville, Florida, area, why not visit the Jacksonville Arboretum and Gardens?
- The Jacksonville Arboretum and Gardens is a 120-acre woodland area in the urban city of Jacksonville, Florida.
- The gardens opened to the public in November 2008. A mining company from 1944 to 1961 severely impacted the soil and vegetation in the area, and in the 1970s, the city of Jacksonville purchased the property for an open space buffer around a nearby wastewater treatment facility. For 30 years, the property was unused. In 2004, Jacksonville citizens were able to lease the property from the city and begin work on a public garden.
- While visiting the gardens, look for alligators, snakes, lizards, foxes, squirrels, turtles and many types of wild birds.
- There are several trails at the arboretum, including the Jones Creek Trail, Ravine Trail, Live Oak Trail and Lake Loop.
- The arboretum plants to build a butterfly and hummingbird garden, visitor center, amphitheater, research facility, event lawn, new trails and more in the future.
- The Jacksonville Arboretum and Gardens measured the number of steps it would take for an adult or child to complete their trails. No pedometer is needed to find out how much exercise you completed at the arboretum!
- On the second Saturday of each month, get to the gardens early (9am) for a yoga class ($5 for members, $10 for nonmembers) that takes along 12 stations throughout the arboretum.
- Take “A Walk in the Woods” on the fourth Saturday of each month. These free walks are free and informative; the fitness walk is a 3-mile hike led by a naturalist.
Jacksonville Arboretum and Gardens Quick Info
1445 Millcoe Road, Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Admission is free
Open daily 8am-5pm (8am-7pm during daylight saving time)