While balcony container gardeners enjoy their small-space urban gardens, sometimes a few container plants on an apartment balcony above a busy street just isn’t peaceful enough. Balcony gardeners might not be able to have a peaceful, large garden, but there are public gardens and arboretums near every major city. Don’t just fawn over pictures of luxurious gardens, get out there and enjoy a day at a public garden! You may even bring some gardening inspiration home to your own balcony container garden.
If you live in or are visiting the Buffalo, N.Y., area, why not visit the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens?
- The 32,000-square-foot greenhouse was completed in 1899 for a cost of $130,000 and at the time was one of the largest public greenhouses in the United States.
- Landscaping architech Frederick Law Olmsted played a key role in designing the gardens. Olmsted is most well known for his landscaping of New York City’s Central Park.
- The gardens collections include Palm, Fruit and Nut, Tropical, Pond, Dinosaur Topiary, Fern, Succulent, Medicinal Garden, Carniverous, Herb, Ivy, Bromeliad and Orchid collections.
- Outdoor gardens include the Front Entrance Garden, Rose Garden and Shrub/Perennial Peace Garden. Indoor gardens include the Palm Dome, Florida Everglades, Panama Cloud Forest and Epiphyte Pavilion, Special Event House, Victorian Ivy and Herb House, Orchid House, Begonia House, Tropical House, Desert House, Fern House and Ancient Rainforest Houses. Take a virtual tour to see more before visiting.
- The largest public ivy collection in the world is featured in the Victorian Ivy and Herb House. There are more than 400 cultivars of ivy in this exhibit.
- The Fern House and Ancient Rainforest is home to a 30-foot water fall, banana trees, a fish pond and large dinosaur topiaries.
- Make sure to check out the Arcangel Gallery to see photography and artwork that reflects the Buffalo Botanical Gardens, nature and western New York life and architecture.
- The Buffalo Botanic Gardens can be rented for weddings and other events.
- One-hour guided tours are available for $10 per adult ($9 for seniors).
- Check the Events section of the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens' website to see upcoming classes, workshops, contests, exhibits and special shows. Orchid and Chrysanthemum shows are very popular at the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens, and at this time the gardens are crowded and have higher entry fees.
Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens Quick Info
2655 S Park Ave Buffalo, NY 14218
$7 adults, $6 seniors and students, $4 children 3 to 12.
Open daily 10am to 5pm. Closed Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.