If you need help creating a gift list this holiday season, either for yourself or a fellow garden-lover, check out these 10 hot container gardening products that balcony gardeners would love to open on Christmas day. To learn more about each plant care product, click the link or photo to go to Amazon.com.
1. Stacking Containers. Stacking plant containers are awesome for balcony container gardeners. There's not a lot of floor space to work with in a balcony container garden, so why not garden upward? These small plant containers are perfect for an herb garden.
2. Greenhouse. Small container plant greenhouses can be kept indoors or used outside for starting plant seeds in cooler weather. Greenhouses come in many sizes. A small glass greenhouse from IKEA can be a decorative addition to a garden table, while there are also larger versions like the Gardman greenhouse (click on the link). Larger greenhouses can help plant seeds get a good start without taking up space indoors, and container gardeners in dry areas can keep humidity-loving plant species without them drying up!
3. Aqua Globes. These "As Seen on TV" globes that water your container plants for you are a great gift for gardeners who have some delicate plants that need constantly moist (but not soggy) soil. Aqua Globes are also helpful for balcony container gardeners who are often out of town and don't always have a garden-sitter available.
4. Bird feeder. Birds are a fun addition to balcony container gardens, and a nice bird feeder (homemade or otherwise) along with some high-quality bird seed is sure to bring hours of interest to the balcony garden.
5. Plant Stand. Plant stands are always helpful for balcony gardeners, as plants close to the balcony floor often don't receive enough light. Plant stands keep pots off of the floor (thus protecting the floor), while adding height to the balcony garden, maximizing the garden space and maximizing the amount of light plants receive.
6. A Plant Container. Either a personalized plant container that you've painted or just a container that you just know your gardener will love is a great addition to a balcony garden. Listen and learn about what the container gardener likes to keep in the garden. Some gardeners will take any type of interesting container, others like to only use recycled containers, and yet others will want a uniform look with just one plant container color.
7. Plant Container Lifter. Even lightweight planters become a burden when they're filled with dirt. A genius invention (called the PotLifter) allows you and a buddy to lift heavy items in the balcony garden without breaking your back. This is especially helpful when you need to move to a different apartment or simply move a plant container from one place on the balcony to another.
8. Gardening books or a Magazine Subscription. Gardening books and magazines are wonderful sources of inspiration and information for balcony container gardeners. Purchase a garden book or magazine that often talks about container gardening or gardening in small spaces. Even a book about different plant species and plant care will be useful for years to come.
9. Watering Can. Watering cans that can be proudly displayed outside just might be the perfect gift for a balcony gardener without a lot of storage space. If you purchase an attractive watering can, be sure that it waters like rain falls. Don't purchase a can that lets the water gush out.
10. A Garden Tool Kit. Even if your gardener friend or family member has gardening tools, you might consider purchasing a nice garden tool kit. You can also get some high-quality pruners or sturdy gloves or anything else that might be an upgrade for your container gardening loved one!