A rose garden on a hot day can smell beautifully sweet, but roses aren’t the only plants that can create an aromatic garden. Many plants are known for their scents. Make your balcony garden fragrant with these seven great-smelling flowers and herbs.
- Jasmine flower. Night jasmine blooms at night and releases its pleasant scent throughout the garden. This species of jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum) does well in plant containers, and it can even be kept in indoor gardens if it receives bright light through a nearby window.
- Rosemary (herb). This fragrant plant does well in containers and flowers in the spring and summer with many purple flowers that attract bees and other pollinators to the garden. Rosemary is often used in cooking and has a strong flavor that goes great with potatoes.
- Dianthus flower. There are so many varieties of Dianthus flowers that every gardener can find one that suits his or her garden. They are easy to grow and self-seeding, so their great-smelling flowers will come back year after year with relatively little work.
- Lavender (herb). Lavender is commercially grown mostly for its fragrant essential oil, but it can be used in cuisine and to create high-quality honey through the use of bees that collect its nectar. If you keep lavender, be prepared to have bees constantly buzzing around their flowers.
- Hyacinth flower. The hyacinth plant blooms with magnificent flower clusters that can be white, pink, red, orange, yellow or blue. It takes some care to get these plants to flower (hyacinths need a period of cool temperatures first), but the fragrant blooms are well worth the work.
- Mint (herb). Spearmint and peppermint (a spearmint hybrid) are fast-growing, impossible-to-kill container plants. Their leaves can be harvested and dried in order to make tea, which help with stomach problems and other health issues.
- Peony flower. Peony flowers need large plant containers that provide enough room for their deep root systems. Their flowers smell great and are available in many colors, including white, pink, red, yellow, orange and purple.